Connecting with our community
- More than 1,550 people benefited from our community programme at Paddington Central in 2019.
- Over 700 hours volunteering on community projects by our 4 Kingdom Street construction team, contributing to their excellent 44/50 score on the Considerate Constructors Scheme.
- Over 580 hours volunteering on community projects by British Land staff.
- In collaboration with the Canal & River Trust, we care for a stretch of canal near Paddington Central, providing funding and volunteers to keep the waterside in beautiful condition.
Contributing to local people’s wellbeing
- £10m invested at Paddington Central to create delightful public spaces that are open to everyone throughout the day and evening.
- Improvements included more greenery and mature trees, enhanced cycle routes and walkways, sociable pockets of outdoor seating and an engaging digital art installation that celebrates local English mathematician, World War II Enigma codebreaker and pioneer of AI, Alan Turing.
Supporting local talent
- Starting Out in Building Services our bespoke training course for local jobseekers over the age of 25, launched at Paddington Central in 2018 with 87% of participants moving into work soon afterwards.
- 165 local young people took part in Westminster Enterprise Week 2018 in partnership with Paddington Central businesses.
Supporting education in our community
- Over 1,050 schoolchildren in Westminster have taken part in our Young Readers Programme with the National Literacy Trust since 2016.
- 222 young people in Westminster have explored their creativity through our award-winning arts initiatives. art:space with Create empowers young carers and Creative Curriculum with Open-City gives schoolchildren the chance to work with professional artists to create wonderful artworks, displayed at Paddington Central.
Supporting local businesses
- British Land is committed to opening up opportunities to local businesses and enterprises to support their future success; central to this is the implementation of a local procurement strategy, identifying goods and services that can be sourced within the area.